Why is the World Wide Web called that?
many wonder Why is the World Wide Web called that? ? The technological development that the world is witnessing at an accelerated pace with the massive information revolution has led to the emergence of many inventions that have greatly benefited mankind and made it easier for people to accomplish many tasks in a short time with minimal effort. and the World Wide Web is one of the most important inventions that appeared throughout history and became the first means of communication in all countries of the world, but what is the reason for calling that network by this name? What is the history of its origin and importance? What is the difference between it and the internet? We answer these questions through the following lines encyclopedia.
- The World Wide Web is known as the World Wide Web and is abbreviated as www.
- The World Wide Web got this name because it is a large network of computers scattered around the world that are connected by cable or wireless.
- That’s why it got this name because it’s spread and intertwined all over the world in a spidery way that millions of users are working on.
- The launch of this name on that network goes back to the American scientist “Ronald Avon”, who saw how a huge network with a lot of information connects the different sites.
- Information is exchanged through that network, and it also contains a wide range of pages that are linked to each other until websites are created.
- Thus, the World Wide Web can be defined as images, videos, internet pages and anything available on the internet and a browser can be used to access them.
History of the World Wide Web
- The history of the World Wide Web dates back to 1980 when Tim Berners-Lee, an independent consultant to the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), founded ENQUIRE, a collection of software models and a private database for individuals.
- Where this technique is used for strung text, each new page of information is linked to an existing page.
- In 1984, Tim Berners-Lee studied the problems of this technology and so in 1989 proposed to build a huge database related to link writing, and asked for official approval of his work on this project, but this proposal didn’t get enough attention.
- In 1990, this proposal was presented again at the European Conference on Threaded Text Technology by the Belgian computer scientist Robert Cayley.
- At the end of this year, Berners-Lee gathered the tools necessary to work on the Internet, namely the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), the first web browser, the first hypertext server program, the first web server, files FTP File Transfer Protocol.
- Then Berners-Lee published a briefing on the World Wide Web project, and that was in August 1991, this year when the World Wide Web first appeared and was made available to users from all countries of the world.
- Since then, the World Wide Web has become the most prominent invention in human history.
The difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet
- Many confuse the Internet with the World Wide Web and think that the two are the same and carry the same term.
- But this is a misconception. The World Wide Web is a medium used to connect to the Internet and share any files and information.
- More than one method is used to share these files and information, including the email protocol and the File Transfer Protocol.
- While the internet symbolizes a huge number of different computers, servers and other devices.
- Each of these devices uses a unique address, IP addresses, to communicate with each other over the Internet through websites that contain multiple HTML web pages.
The importance of the Internet
- This network is one of the means through which individuals could communicate with each other and anywhere in the world as it provided various means of communication such as video calls, voice calls or writing.
- I have helped many students to search the internet to complete their academic research, which has saved a lot of financial costs.
- That network has also become an important learning resource, providing electronic education courses that anyone can take anywhere in the world.
- It has become one of the major sources of doing business and earning money as websites and social media have helped to display and market goods and products leading to the emergence of the concept of e-commerce.
- In addition, these methods saved consumers time and effort because they could buy online without having to go to a store.
- This network helped exchange information by sending and receiving it between many users around the world, benefiting business owners in institutions and companies who could now use certain programs to conduct remote meetings.
- It helped publish the literary works of writers and poets electronically without spending a lot of money to print them.
- The network has provided many interesting entertainment resources such as games, movies, programs and series that can be viewed easily and smoothly.
- Anyone can search the internet to find information on the topic they are looking for through the endless sources of information available on the internet.
- This made it possible to create forums that helped improve communication between users by asking questions and sharing their interests.
- Due to this, various technologies have been developed, such as GPS technology, which directs the person to the address they are looking for wherever they are.
- It is possible to complete banking services and perform various financial transactions.
- It has generated many job opportunities by posting job openings online or working remotely.
The internet saves a lot of time
- In the case of rational use of the World Wide Web, there are many advantages for the users, as well as time savings.
- Where the World Wide Web helps to save time wasted on communication between the elements of the same organization.
- As a result, administrative services and information are exchanged via the Internet and the future is reached as quickly as possible.
- This is not limited to institutions alone, but extends to all individuals with their different uses of the network.
- Since this network also saved time wasted in accessing the required information, only need to enter the search sites on the Internet and write the name of the topic searched to display all the associated information.
And here we have come to the conclusion of our article, answering a question Why is the World Wide Web called that? And the history of its creation, as we explained the difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet, in addition to the main advantages of the World Wide Web, more articles on the comprehensive Arabic encyclopedia will follow.